There are several ways for a foreigner to get Turkish nationality in order to be a citizen of Turkey and to use its benefits.
Types of Application for Turkish Citizenship
Citizenship by Investment in Turkey
The most recent law about the nationality subject was announced on 19th of September 2018 by Turkish government. According to this, there are three new ways about granting Turkish nationality to foreigners by Investment in Turkey.
- Investing 250.000 USD in Turkey real estate market. The condition in this case is not to sell the properties for 3 years’ time after investing this amount or adding this condition on the title deed while purchasing immediately.
- Starting up a new business inside Turkey with a minimum capital of 500.000 USD.
- Depositing 500.000 USD in a Turkish bank and keeping this amount in the bank for 3 years.
Citizenship by Owning a Property in Turkey
If a foreigner buys a property in Turkey, he/she can apply for Turkish Residence Permit. For 5 years this residence permit should be renewed and he/she should not leave Turkey for more than 6 months each year in order to be able to apply for Turkish nationality. There is not any property value restriction but also there is no guarantee that Turkish nationality will be given. This option gives a foreigner the chance to make the application only.
Citizenship in Turkey by Marriage
Once a foreigner marries a Turkish citizen, he/she can apply for Turkish nationality after 3 years’ time.
During this time; the couple needs to prove that they had been living together by not having behaviors that could damage the marital union. There should be also no threat to the national security and public order.
Citizenship by Exceptional Circumstances
There are scenarios where a foreigner can be proposed Turkish nationality by Turkish government as well. This applies when a foreigners given outstanding service in following areas such as; scientific, technological, economic, social, sporting, cultural and artistic areas. In this case, the mentioned person will have the chance to accept the proposal or not to be a Turkish citizen.
Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship for Foreign Investors
Last Edit: 03.10.2018 Source: Department of Citizenhip Services
Article 12 of the Turkish Citizenship Law No. 5901 allows foreign investors to acquire Turkish citizenship in exceptional terms; with 18.09.2018 dated and 106 numbered Presidential Decree, amendatory new arrangements have been made regarding the amounts mentioned in the Article 20 of the Regulation on the Implementation of the aforementioned Law.
Within this scope, the foreign investors;
- who make fixed capital investment at least 500.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and for whom certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Industry and Technology,
- who purchase the immovable property at least 250.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and attached annotation at land registration not to sell this property for three years and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization,
- who employ at least 50 employees and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services,
- who invest at least 500.000 US dollars or its equivalent in foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and make commitment to hold the amount of deposits for three years at banks operating in Turkey and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency,
- who purchase public borrowing instruments at least 500.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and make commitment to hold these instruments for three years and for whom certificate of conformity is issued by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance,
- who purchase a real estate investment fund participation share or venture capital investment fund participation amount of at least 500.000 US Dollars or equivalent foreign currency or equivalent amount of Turkish Lira and make commitment to hold these participation shares for three-years and for whom a certificate of conformity is issued by the Capital Market Board,
In order to;
- Make the process of acquiring Turkish citizenship more efficient and faster,
- Provide services in support, consultancy and application tracking processes from the application for residence permit (6458-31/J) to the acquisition of Turkish citizenship,
- Provide quality service with qualified personnel working in manner of “customer representative”,
- Maintain foreign investors, who do not have a certificate of conformity, to contact with the relevant determining institutions and to direct them to the designated contact persons,
Operations have been started to provide faster service by establishing “special/joint offices”, mainly in Ankara and Istanbul.
Moreover, the documents requested for foreign citizens to acquire Turkish citizenship and the documents requested separately in citizenship applications were simplified in “private/common offices”; so residence permit and citizenship application shall be obtained at once together with the jointly determined documents.